Customer-driven marketplace has influenced technology vendor roadmaps as these vendors look towards maintaining and enhancing market share. The following are key business/IT drivers underlying roadmap changes:
- More Complex Application Stack. Emerging applications like OpenStack, big data, analytics, and hybrid cloud are increasing application stack management complexity. While there is no such thing as one-size-fits-all, technology manufacturers must factor the varied workload requirements into their datacenter solutions.
- Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery. Competitive pressures and customer expectations for continuous business operations are at their highest. That translates in the need to design infrastructure and acquire system components that minimize or eliminate disruptions. In addition, the safeguarding of data, and the ability to recover business operations quickly when outages occur, are critical to the health of the business./li>
- Greater Need for Increased Performance. Emerging business practices, like big data and data analytics, are aggressively pushing the performance capabilities of existing infrastructure and the systems. Technology manufacturers must plan for the future by designing systems and components that can scale without performance degradation. In addition, new methodologies are needed to extend the processing, storage and communication capabilities.
- Single-Pane-of-Glass. One of the most critical technology selection criteria is simplicity as reflected in the single-pane-of-glass technology resource management. Centralized management is a must have operations management feature. Technology manufacturers must design their system components to integrate seamlessly with other manufacturer components, enabling centralized management.
- Automated Operations. As the systems become more complex and the administrative and operational support requirements increase, it is necessary to automate manual tasks to promote effective and efficient system resource management. To put it simply, the time and personnel to manage the systems at the appropriate level manually is cost prohibitive.
- Decreased Data Center Space Requirement. As the cost of infrastructure, i.e., facility, power, and AC continues to increase, the need to reduce the system infrastructure footprint and environmental impact are key drivers of manufacturer design and customer selection.